Skip to main content

Back to the Village Life...Berber style

Excited. Nervous. Unsure. Oddly relaxed. These were the main emotions I was feeling as I rode the shared taxi to my next destination—a rural Berber village in the High Atlas Mountains about 60 km south of Marrkech, a major hub for tourists. I was past ready to leave the tourist trail of cities, souks, and snake charmers and veer off into the local, village life that I have become so accustomed to in Malawi.

Visible ahead of the car were layers of blue, hazy mountains with snow-capped ones peeking out from behind them. I felt like I was in the Himalayas, not in southern Morocco. As we approached the village of Marigha, which means “salt” in Berber and where I would be staying for the next week or so, I wasn’t sure what to expect. The road was twisty and full of turns like it’d been designed to make carsick people throw up, but the view was incredible. Being back in the mountains, I could feel my heart swell with happiness. There’s just something about those layers of mysteriousness, not knowing what lies behind each mountain, that creates a craving for adventure and exploring within me.

I was dropped off at a small building full of kids. I wasn’t sure where my host, Youssef, was or what I was to do. I hauled my massive backpack, which is probably about the same size as me, out of the trunk of the car and onto my back and walked inside (laughing to myself as I got a little stuck in the narrow doorway because my bag was so wide). I caught sight of Youssef, or who I assumed was Youssef because he was the only adult in the room. The 20 x 20 foot building was full of tables, chairs, children, and schoolbooks—they were doing their homework and Youssef was tutoring them, as I learned later. The kids stared wildly and excitedly at me as I sat down amongst them. Despite them and I both knowing three languages, we couldn’t communicate in any of them because they weren’t the same languages. These 12-year-olds were speaking Arabic, Berber, and French, while I know English, Chichewa, and the bit of Spanish I remember back from my pre-Chichewa days when I used to be almost fluent. 

After an hour or two of staring, gesturing, and some of the older girls trying to teach me how to write Arabic on the whiteboard, the sun had long gone down and it was time to head home. I walked with Youssef to his family’s farmhouse, expecting nothing and having an open mind. I was first surprised to find that they had electricity and a TV with cable. That evening I did a lot of sitting on the couch wondering how/if I could help and trying to figure out a way to possibly break the silence with any of the few words I knew in Arabic.

The first two days were tough as I felt so uncomfortable and awkward—the language barrier, the cultural barrier, a new space, new rules, and lots of staring and gesturing. It was seriously JUST like my first few days in the village in Malawi with not being able to communicate to anyone, wandering around confusedly, and not being sure what to do at all times. It’s always a rough transition with these types of experiences, but at first I was second-guessing my decision to come here. Why did I want to put myself through this again?

However, by the end of day 3, I had remembered how rewarding experiences like these are. I had figured out how to use the squat toilet that’s somehow a mix between a pit latrine and a flush toilet, I understood where and how I could take a bucket bath, I knew that the tap water was “okay” to drink (so far so good anyway!), and I knew where I should and shouldn’t wear my shoes in the house.

Youssef and I visited the nearby market in the town of Asni yesterday, which, again, reminded me so much of market day in Malawi. Row after row of informal shops divided up by what they were selling—produce, tagines, grains, bread, spices, herbs, donkeys, live chickens, second-hand clothes, meats, and random niks naks. We wandered the aisles crowded with people and carts pushing through the chaos. I bought snacks from the endless amount of carts selling sweets and dates, some ingredients to cook one or two of my best meals for the family, and yarn to make hats and scarves for them.

When we returned home, we rested for a bit before Youssef and I went out for a run. How lucky I am to continue meeting fellow runners with whom to share these active outings.

The run was what I would consider nothing short of magical. I’ve had a lot of incredible runs during my life—from jogging in the Kathmandu countryside at dawn to trekking up steep dirt roads in my village in Malawi watching the morning light slowly drip down the mountains to “exploring runs” in Mozambique trying to learn my way around my surroundings to the plethora of amazing views and trails I’ve run on in the mountains of Asheville. I can’t say that any one is the best, but the one that I did yesterday with Youssef will definitely go down as one of my top ten most memorable ones.

It wasn’t that I felt exceptionally great or anything, but the scenery was just so special and different that I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

It didn’t begin well with me trying to keep up with Youssef’s quick pace as we exited the fields of the village, but I eventually found my rhythm. We ventured further into the mountains and away from the countryside, climbing rolling hills along the way. Following a paved road going around one mountain range in particular, we played peek-a-boo with the almost full moon as it would disappear behind the mountain then pop back into view around every other turn.

Eventually we ended up on a road carved into the side of the hill that rewarded us with amazing views of the orange-ish pink villages in the valley below, the panoramic mountain ranges dwarfing them, and the hazy pink sky telling us the day was coming to an end. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, the sound of the call to prayer from various minarets across these villages echoed through the valley, the words and songs intertwining. I pulled out my one headphone blasting my familiar hip hops songs and soaked up the feeling of that moment, wishing I could bottle up the essence of it to open whenever I was feeling stressed. Instead, I appreciated it, all of it—the sound of my feet on the pavement and the call to prayer, the view of the green mountains and geometric, earthy homes in the villages, and the feeling of the cool air in my lungs and the sweat on my forehead.

The last fifteen minutes of our run were all downhill, and we arrived home right after dark. After a wonderful bucket bath (I forgot how much I love them) and an incredibly delicious tagine of beef, prunes, and some sort of amazing spiced sauce, I was a very happy traveller.

Outside the house

Mint tea <3

A pano of the village

Lots of olive tree lined roads...



Now on day #4 in the rural Berber village, and I finally feel like I’m not completely floundering anymore. I’ve begun to learn the routines, a little bit (shwiya) anyway, and to form relationships with the family. They’re slowly warming up to me, they aren’t quite as outwardly friendly as Malawians, and I’m trying my best to find work around the house and farm so that they understand that I’m trying to pull my weight and also that I appreciate all they’re providing for me.

There’s much to see and do around the home from watching the uncle bake traditional breads in his bakery next to the house to assisting the women with washing dishes or feeding the animals to visiting the wheat field and seeing/assisting them with preparing it for seeding. I’m so glad I decided to come here and experience this way of life and learn from the real, traditional way of doing things. The food is delicious, the people are authentic, and the work is hard. I love it.




Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#