Skip to main content

Wandering Around Morocco

One week in Morocco has passed already! I have learned so much about Moroccan history and culture, but I still have a lot more to go. I’ve been in three different places since arriving- Casablanca, Essaouira, and Taghazout. Each place has been drastically different from the other despite all of them being on the coast. Across these 3 places and 7 days, I’ve seen a lot of beautiful sights, eaten a lot of delicious food, and met a lot of cool people.

In Casablanca, I wandered around the big city with my couchsurfing host. The city was a bit (actually A LOT) overwhelming and intimidating for me, but my host, Khadija, helped me out a lot. Not only did she insist on cooking almost every meal for me, but she took me to a museum (where she translated EVERYTHING into English for me because they only had descriptions in French and Arabic), to historical souks and monuments, and to the major streets in the city to view architecture and other random things.


The major takeaways for me were that all the buildings look very different from each other because when Morocco was a French Protectorate, the French basically had a “competition” amongst architects to see who could design the best buildings. This means that each block of downtown Casablanca was designed by different people, making the city like a hodge-podge of styles. However, 95% of them are white since Casablanca is the “White City” or “White House” in Spanish. ;)

When I left Casablanca to take a 7-hour bus down the coast to Essaouira, I felt a wave of relief as soon as we exited the congested city and entered the peaceful, vast countryside. Randomly spaced, geometric homes with farms built around them stretched out across the landscape interspersed with tall, thin minarets dotting the horizon. It was a calming drive for my culture-shocked system (I know it sounds crazy to say that I had culture shock when arriving in Morocco, but not being able to communicate with people, read menus or signs, or have an inkling about navigation, prices, or culture kind of caught me more off guard than I’d anticipated).  


When I arrived in Essaouira, I went to my next couchsurfing host’s home—located in a maze of apartment buildings that all look the same and that are dissected by streets with no apparent design purpose (going every which way). Essaouira is recenty famous for being the set for Game of Thrones (it’s Astapor!), but also has a very rich history as a pretty major port for Morocco.

The medina, like a shopping area, has been preserved very well and serves as a confusing maze for tourists who wander the alleys that are full of tourist souvenirs and restaurants. The city walls are still standing (not sure if they’ve been restored or not) which is pretty cool looking because it gives the medina the feeling of being in a castle or something. The fishing port is full of activity with flocks of seagulls constantly flying around in search of fish scraps, dozens of little blue boats tied together and bobbing in the water, large fishing boats being built and repaired in any empty space along the harbor, fishermen selling their mornings’ catch along the road, and, of course, tourists snapping photo after photo of the chaos. Add in the stench of the fish corpses, and it’s just enough to deter you from spending too much time there.

On my first day, I saw the beach, the harbor, a fort, and then met a fellow solo traveler with whom I spent the next day and a half wandering through alleys, testing dishes at local restaurants, trying to avoid rain showers, finding popular monuments, trying to translate French text at museums and on menus, walking along the beach, and having wonderful conversations. The next day, I wandered for a bit by myself, taking photos and snacking on spicy green olives, before ending up at a hostel I’d been to the night before that had a great rooftop terrace. While on the roof watching the sunset over the medina, I met a bunch of travelers including two guys from Belgium who were driving to another beach the next day who offered me a ride to come along if I wanted.

That night, my couchsurfing host, Najat, and I went to a nearby fancy hotel’s lounge/club. At 1 AM, it was pretty empty but popping with a DJ as well as crazy strobe lights. However, by 4 AM the place was packed. It was an experience that I had definitely not expected but which was fun! The next morning, I was a bit tired but decided to take the Belgian guys up on their offer to give me a ride to the next beach.

So now I’m in Taghazout, a tiny little town (about 300 meters across) on the coast that is a major surf spot. I decided to stay at a hostel with my friends, Lou and Dries, as opposed to attempting to couchsurf this time around. It’s a nice little break to have some down time when I need it as well as a space that’s mine.

Last night when we got here, we caught a sick sunset on the rooftop terrace with bright pink highlights contrasting the blue of the sky and ocean. Today, we went to another nearby beach so the guys could go surfing while I explored along the coast, climbing around and on the massive, beautiful boulders on the shore. I even found a cool cave carved into a huge rock wall. The water was a bit rough for me to swim, but after lunch, we drove in the other direction toward a place called Paradise Valley where we jumped into some cooooold streams. The drive was amazing- through rolling mountains covered in green desert shrubs giving them a speckled look. The hike down to the river and the actual rivers were a bit disappointing as there’s so much trash and graffiti all along the way. But, we found an empty, clean-looking pool to swim in.

So there’s an overview of the places/sights I’ve been seeing. My other favorite part of the experience thus far has been learning more about the food culture in Morocco.

I’ve been eating a lot of tagine which is a typical Moroccan dish cooked in a specific ceramic, conical-shaped dish and made with pretty much anything and everything you want to put in it. Most of them have chicken, fish, or beef on the bottom, are topped with sliced up things like onions, tomatoes, potatoes, olives, preserved lemons, nuts, etc, and are spiced with cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt, and pepper at the least. You put the dish ON the fire and let it cook slowly for about 30 minutes, then take the top off and enjoy the steaming hot mix of spices and flavours. 

Another major Moroccan tradition is mint tea. They call it Moroccan whiskey because, as a Muslim country, Moroccans are not allowed to buy alcohol. So, they drink a lot of tea. This tea is a combination of green tea leaves and a whole bunch of mint. When you pour it, you have to hold the teapot as high above the cup as possible without spilling it so it will give the tea some “foam.” This is served, literally, with hunky sugar cubes so you can sweeten it as you want.

Couscous is another major dish here in Morocco. I’ve only had it twice so far, but what I know about it as of yet is that it’s served in GIGANTIC, unfinishable proportions and can be made with practically anything as well, like tagine. Some things I’ve seen or tried on couscous: spiced vegetables, dates, prunes, and chicken.

Last but not least, Moroccans love bread and olives. A typical breakfast consists of the round, flat breads made here dipped in olive oil and eaten with olives. Or with cheese spread on it. A basket of bread comes with almost every meal as does a small dish of olives. What I’ve learned about olives is that the plain ones are for cooking and the spiced ones (chili, rosemary, mixed with vegetables) are for snacking. Bread is super cheap…a small baguette or flatbread is only $0.10, so you can imagine that people eat a lot of it.


Okay, that’s all for me for now. I get bored of writing after too long. Time to go interact with the world again…or, in my case now, to go to sleep. I’ll share more/better photos soon, but here’s at least an update in case anyone has been wondering what I’ve been up to over in this corner of the world.

Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#