Skip to main content

Back to the Warm Heart

Written on August 23

Sheesh, so yesterday's travel after the boat began as the worst I've ever had, and then later in the day, among some of the best. When we got off the boat at the mainland port, there were three trucks/buses. The guy we were traveling with spoke like perfect Portuguese, so we just let him do the talking. Apparently none of the chapas were taking the road we wanted to go on, so we decided to take a different one that would bring us to the same main road. Well, this was when we made our worst decision of the day. At first the ride wasn't too bad because we had plenty of space-just the road was horrible. There were so many potholes, so we had to go so painfully slow (yes, PAINFULLY was meant to be ironic). Then we began picking people up. At peak capacity (which lasted for about 3.5 hours), we had 20 people, 2 goats, a basket of chickens, 3 babies, and about 8 maize sacks of cassava in the truck. Kelly and I were in so much pain- there was no room to move our legs because we were so squished between people and bags, the blazing hot sun beat down on our already sunburnt faces and shoulders, and every time we hit a bump, our backs banged against the side of the truck bed. It was pretty miserable, and the whole time, there was one thought running through my head: I want OFF this truck. 








When we finally reached the road we were getting off at, it was already past noon. (We had left at 7:30)!  We grabbed some snacks (since we still hadn't eaten breakfast and had been up since 4:30) and went to the side of the road to hitch. After cold drinks and some grilled corn and breads, we were feeling much better and were lucky enough to land a nice air conditioned ride to the turn off we were going to. After that, we found another hitch going all the way to Nampula after just 10 minutes of waiting. The best part- this car was going FAST. We were in the back of a short-bed truck, 3 of us, soaking up the view of Mozambique flying by behind us and trying to cover ourselves with our zitenje to keep our faces from getting too burnt. We made it to Nampula in great time and then called our friend whom we'd stayed with on the way up to Pemba. We took a taxi to his house and enjoyed hot showers, delicious food, and good conversation. 

The next morning, our friend drove us to a good hitching point and after we bought a bunch of mozambique  bread, the very first car we flagged down stopped for us and was thankfully going to the same place as us. When we split ways with him, we ended up running into two PC Mozambique volunteers and traveled back to the border with them. We even got to see one of their homes-soooooo much nicer than any house I've seen in PC Malawi....a different lifestyle. Every country is different! 



Even though we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation (although it was a bit stressful at times with all the traveling), we were both anxious to get back to Malawi and to our homes. Sometimes it's crazy to think how much Malawi feels like home now; America seems like a far off land these days! I was so excited to get back to the place where I can understand the local language and where I know the environment and culture again. (I had a full conversation with the bike taxi that I was on as soon as we crossed back into malawi!) Being in Mozambique, even for just a week, made me realize how hard it's actually going to be to leave when my service is finished. Yes, Malawi can be a pain in the ass sometimes (slow mini buses, carrying water on the head, obnoxious drunk guys yelling, people being late to everything, etc), but it has so much to offer and I'm so well adapted to it now. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#