Skip to main content

Swimming with dolphins!

Today was one of the coolest days of my life (I've said this phrase so many times since I moved to Africa, I know). Instead of beginning the journey back to Malawi today, Kelly and I were convinced to stay another day on the island by our newfound traveling friends. (We also decided to stay because so far we had only had one chill day and three full travel days!) This morning, we got on a boat at the dock on the island and headed out to sea. After maybe 20-30 minutes, we began to see dolphin fins on the water! We got our snorkeling gear ready and when we got close enough, we jumped in the water and swam to find them. I (and two others) caught up to them and swam quickly after them. At this point I was DIRECTLY above them in the water, and I could count all 10 of them as we swam along together. It was the craziest feeling ever just swimming along with these dolphins-watching them flip over and swim upside down and couple up and swim in pairs. The water was bright turquoise and you could see the sand below them the water was so clear. At times they would swim up to the surface and then they would only be like 3 feet away from me. I could see their shiny gray skin and kept thinking of when I was shark diving in South Africa...except these guys won't eat me! It was such a surreal feeling. Eventually I got so tired from swimming along to keep up, the water changed to a darker blue where it was harder to see them, and we came close to our boat, so I came up for air. Getting back in the boat, I was shaking from adrenaline, and my arms were tired from swimming!

At that point, I was satisfied with our trip already. But THEN, we took the boat over to an old wrecked ship and got out to snorkel. There wasn't SO much coral, but there were plenty of brilliantly colored fish in amongst the super old ship remains. I'm so sad I don't have an underwater camera because I couldn't capture the beauty of it all to show you all at home! So after that, we hopped back on the boat and road to a giant sandbar in the middle of the ocean. It looked like a little baby beach in the middle of an intensely azure ocean. We got off and wandered around for a little bit-finding sooooo many starfish and shells and taking loads of pictures. 




By the time we got back on the boat, we were all sufficiently sunburnt and tired. It took us a little over an hour to get back with Kelly and I laying on the front of the boat lounging in the sun but wrapped in our zitenje to protect our shoulders and faces. Rinsing off all the sand and salt in a cold shower back at the place we're staying at was super refreshing, but I still can't get all the sand out of my hair! 

Now we're just sitting back, enjoying the sunset and some beers, and hoping to enjoy some more fresh seafood again for dinner. 





Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#