Skip to main content

You Must Be Brave


I am lucky: I have never before seen someone's life leave their body. That changed today.

When I arrived at the clinic around mid morning, something seemed off. I didn't see any of the staff except our registrar who was busily registering our day's patients. I walked down the hallway of doors, peeking inside each one. When I reached the in-patient room, I saw three of our staff inside. They were crowding around a 10-month old girl child who was laying naked on the bed, her chest heaving up and down with labored breath.

I asked what was happening.

“She's dehydrated,” they told me.

I stood in front of the bed, my coffee thermos in hand and still sweating from the walk down to the clinic from my house, trying to make sense of my surroundings. An array of needles in their packages were splayed across the table, and I overhead our CM (certified midwife) saying the baby was so fat that they couldn't find a vein.

This was true; she was covered in healthy-child fat rolls with thick legs and adorable chunky arms. The nurses tried repeatedly to find a vein in her plump wrist, but to no avail.

Not knowing the protocol they must follow or even what can be done for a child in this state, I stood back and watched the scene unfold, asking questions occasionally.

The child's breath came rhythmically, her chest heaving as if every inhale was a struggle. The CM gave the child an enema of glucose and some other liquid that is suppose to lift a child from unconsciousness (yes, she was unconscious). We were to wait thirty minutes to see if it worked. She checked her eyelids and saw that they were very white—apparently a sign of anemia.

As we waited and observed, the child's breathing changed slightly. She was rolled onto her back. She had a fever, but her malaria test had been negative. They placed a wet lappa over her stomach in an attempt to cool her down.

More details from the story were divulged. She had been toileting (experiencing diarrhea) and vomiting. She had also been jerking (seizing). The family bought medicine from a “black begger,” someone who walks through the village selling boxes of various tablets (you never know if they're real, expired, or stolen). They had given the girl ORS and zinc tablets, they told us.

“These people lie! They can say anything! They might have overdosed her with malaria medicine, but they can't tell us that now,” our nurses insisted when I asked.

It was a touchy issue.

Her mom had gone someplace to look for a motorbike to transport her to Cestos City to the hospital. The guardian who remained, who sat outside the room peeking through the doorway and occasionally coming inside to stand over the bed, explained that the girl was her 'husband's brother's child,' but that the little girl stayed with her grandmother.

We continued to monitor her, checking for any signs of consciousness. At this point her arms were rotating back and forth with every breath as her chest rose and fell dramatically. I kept asking whether her change in breathing and occasional exhaling muffled with a small moan meant that she was waking up or getting worse. They told me they weren't sure.

They listened to her lungs with the stethoscope. They pinched her legs and arms to see if she would react. They shined a light in her eyes to see if she would response by closing them slightly.

At one point her eyes were flicking slightly. They rolled back in her head slightly a few times. I called the CM; my counterpart checked her again. Her leg, which had been straight out, pulled into her body. One of her arms did the same thing. I thought she was gaining consciousness.

Then her chest stopped moving. I stared at her intensely, waiting for it to rise again.

I looked at my counterpart and whispered, “Did she just stop breathing? What is happening?”

After about 6 seconds, she pulled air in again. 'Ah, she's still alive,' I thought, relieved. Then it stopped again.

The CM came inside. No one said anything. She called the girl's guardian in and told her ,“You should come be here. But don't cry.” Our dispenser walked in and our eyes locked as she passed me, “Yes,” she responded to my questioning face. She already knew my question: Is she really gone?

There was no clear verbalizing that the girl had passed. The guardian, shocked, placed her head and arm on the wall, curling into a sorrowful stance. I saw her back shake as she tried to fight off the emotions and sobbed silently. I didn't know what to do.

I walked over and put my hand on her back trying to console her. “I'm sorry,” I gasped. I felt tears stinging my own eyes. Our dispenser began to wrap the small body in a lappa. When she finished; I had to remove myself from the grieving energy in that room before it completely washed over me too. I wanted to maintain composure like all of my colleagues.

Patients waiting outside knew something dramatic was happening, and every time someone walked out of the room they scanned faces for clues. I sat on the bench outside trying to come to terms what I'd just witnessed. I managed to keep my shit together.

I went to find the other nurses who had dealt with the case. I assumed they would need to fill out some sort of death report. I found the three of them in another room discussing how there was nothing else that could've been done. The girl had been too far gone when she'd arrived. They'd done their best. In an effort to support my staff, I agreed, “You did all you could.”

There was a knock at the door.

Last week our CM had delivered a premie baby—she was born early, at 7 months, because her mother had suffered from malaria not once, but three times during her pregnancy. The baby girl, Favor (named so because her survival had been God's favor), was born at a weight 1.4 kg. All weekend, our CM had been monitoring the child, and they'd just been okay-ed to go home seeing as how they live right in our town. Her mom had brought her back for a vaccine.

There's my little survivor,” our CM exclaimed when the ma walked in carrying the itty bitty lump in her arms. She sat down on the bed next to me and began to unwrap the body from the two lappas engulfing her.

Her head was smaller than my palm. The onesie she was dressed in completely swallowed her tiny frame. When the ma pulled her bare legs out so they could inject the vaccine in her bottom, I couldn't stop staring at them. Impossibly narrow, like a candle stick or a broom handle, I was dumbfounded at how this infant had survived birth and her first 5 days outside of her mother's womb. But there she was, breathing, yawning, and even crying a little bit as they woke her up before giving her the vaccine.

I questioned why they needed to fully wake her up before the injection.

Do you want to become a nurse or a doctor?” my counterpart asked me.

No,” I responded.

She shook her head at me, probably exasperated with my constant stream of questions this morning, and said, “you must wake the child up before giving the vaccine to make sure the child isn't unconscious.”

A few minutes later she looked at me and asked, “You crying before? You can't cry at every death or you will be crying every day. This is Africa. These things can happen on a daily basis. You must be brave.”

And that, my friends, is the lesson I learned today: to be “brave.”

Working in this setting, at a rural health center, I have been lucky to not experience this kind of trauma on a daily basis. I would not choose to see these things if I had the choice; I know that I'm not able to detach myself emotionally from people enough to work as a physician (well that in addition to the fact that I can't stand the sight of blood, needles, and all of that stuff). But now that I've seen these occurrences, I am thankful. I am thankful that I am able to learn something from such unfortunate situations and to see the devastating effects of the behaviors that I am here to educate others on how to prevent. It brings about a sense of reality and urgency to the issues that are surely and presently out there.

It's easy to become jaded by peoples' lack of interest in health prevention and to lose motivation. These kinds of events, as upsetting as they are, remind me that our work in the communities way out in the bush is important and potentially lifesaving. We must 'be brave' and forge ahead.

Our health facility


Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#