Skip to main content

I Saw a Circumcision Today

The scurrying and thumping continued just above me, and the darkness surrounded my eyes. I reached over and peeked at my phone- checking the time. It was 4 AM: not time to wake up yet. I rolled back over and closed my eyes, trying to will the time to pass until morning when I knew the rats in the ceiling would either leave or be quiet. I heard a distant rooster cry through the dim dawn pushing its way through my window. The sound seemed to echo off every edge of the community as other roosters called back to the one, setting off a chorus of sounds.

'Not a great nights sleep for my first night back,' I thought to myself as eventually woke up almost three hours later. I tried to rouse myself from the deep indent of my body in my 6 inch foam mattress on the floor. The carpenter in town, whom I gave money to 6 weeks ago for materials, still hasn't finished my bed frame which will get me off the floor and out of the way of curious rats who might make rounds around my house as I'm sleeping.

I go about the semblance of a morning routine that I have—making coffee and breakfast, washing the previous night's dishes, tying up my mosquito net for the day, placing my mattress upright against the wall, setting my solar lights on my roof to charge, and getting dressed to go down to the clinic—before pulling my bag over my shoulder and heading out the door.

On my way to work, I pass many homes with inhabitants sitting outside in communal kitchens. Greetings in Bassa are thrown from either side of the road, usually following a squeal of my bassa name, 'Amucheeeeeeee' to get my attention. The hot morning sun beats down on me as I journey down the road, burning away the morning coolness and fog. The crunch of dirt and small rocks underfoot as I take each step accompanies me down the stretch of orange, dusty road.

The staff at the health clinic excitedly respond to the sight of me with a smile and a 'happy new year!' I make my rounds with each worker, throwing my right hand out for a slick handshake that ends with a friendly and simultaneous snap of the middle and thumb fingers as the fingers pull away from each other. I hardly remember how to do a normal handshake anymore as this form of greeting has become so second nature to me.

We have a larger-than-normal crowd at the clinic this morning, so I greet them all with a group
'mwe-o,' used to say 'Good Morning' in Bassa.

As my colleagues go about their individual jobs, I observe the cases we have for the day by watching which door they go to (which tells me which health worker they are visiting). In the surveillance room: a circumcision, weighing babies and sitting outside the antenatal room: a bunch of pregnant or new moms, and in the epi room: a boy with a swollen hand in a makeshift sling.

Later, a motorbike pulls up at the gate and lets off two women and a baby. I notice that the one can barely stand on her own as the older woman supports her body and carries the baby on her back. After that, two men walk up with some background story to tell, but which I don't catch as they're sharing it in the local language.

The boy with the swollen hand, a result of an infected and deep cut on his finger, is seen first and his wound is cleaned before he's given antibiotics and medicine.

The circumcision was next and, Surprise!, I was pulled into the room to see it. The 2 week old was injected with three shots of Liteocaine (a numbling liquid) The foreskin on his penis was stretched widthwise with a pair of surgical tong things. It was then pulled away from his body, clipped together with another pair of surgical tongs, and a pair of surgical scissors was used to slice off the loosened skin. The doctor then went closely around the remaining incision and clipped off additional skin using the same method and even by using string to tie skin extra tight before cutting. The baby screamed blood-curdling screams the entire time. Then the doctor dribbled some iodine solution on it and wrapped the penis in gauze before handing the infant back to his aunt who had brought him into the room.

As we walked out of the room, I realized that I was sweating and feeling lightheaded and nauseous from just the sight of the mini surgical procedure. A future in medicine or hospital work is probably not in the cards for me. Regardless, I'm appreciative of all of the rare experiences that I'm able to have simply by being here and working with a rural health clinic. 

The woman who could barely walk was immediately taken into the 'inpatient' or 'dressing' room, laid down on a bed after she arrived.They gave her a fluid IV after it was determined that she was severely dehydrated.

Of the two men coming from a neighboring town, one of them had beat up his pregnant sister the previous night (she is ok as far as I know seeing as how she did not come to our hospital for assistance) and had been locked up by the local police overnight. This morning, he'd complained of being sick and had thrown up, so they'd allowed him to go to the hospital before continuing with this trial. He didn't show any signs of sickness, but when they took his blood pressure, one clinic worker promptly reminded the other to put on gloves. When I asked why later, he reminded me that it was a residual precaution from ebola times: anytime someone had come in saying they'd thrown up recently, they would treat that patient with extreme caution, suspecting ebola.

The thick afternoon heat and humidity began to set in, even in the shade-soaked and covered open-air space where we do patient registration. Tiring of sitting and observing the happenings around the clinic and with a stomach beginning to growl in hunger, I bid farewell to my colleagues and headed home under the dense sun splaying across the cloudless, blue sky.



Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#