Skip to main content

Christmas: A Day of Bluffing

I am back in my current “home” of Liberia as opposed to still on vacation.

After a very full and busy ten days, I was happy to return to a place where time seems to move more slowly. I needed a break from the going, going, going.

I spent Christmas in a friend's village for multiple reasons including the fact that it was faster and easier to get to from the airport (compared to my site). I also needed a bit of a break from my boring, extremely loud and intrusive community life.

On Christmas morning, a neighbor brought over 2 bottles of palm wine --which I've never tasted before! So rather than opening presents and making a fancy breakfast as is the normal tradition for my family on Christmas morning, we drank the palm wine and listened to music. It was chill and the palm wine was alright. It was milky colored, smelled a bit like sour milk, and was frothy... but it does the trick of getting tipsy on a cheap mans dime. 

We had a small group of PCVs here on Christmas, one of whom had planned a Christmas party with the ladies at the NGO with which she works. We all got together in the afternoon after some beers—gotta celebrate like the locals ya know! We made sugar cookies and snickerdoodles in a local oven. The ladies all mixed together the ingredients and found an oven in the community that we could use, which was like a giant standing charcoal-powered heater, and I assisted with the icing (one of my favorite jobs of course). We stuffed our faces with more sugar than I've had in quite a while.

All throughout the afternoon of cooking making and celebrating, people wandered outside to do their Christmas “bluffing” aka take posed photos to share on social media. Bluffing is ubiquitous throughout Liberia; it's like the thing to do when you've dressed up and look nice. I watched as one woman posed with plants, trees, and benches in a variety of positions—but usually one that shows off dat booty—and the other snapped photo after photo. Then they giggled together as they looked through them. We did a little bluffing as a group of volunteers (had to get that Christmas shot!) and then retired for the evening when it started getting dark and the mosquitos came out to feed.

Overall it was a very relaxed day with good company. From my perspective, it seemed like the most popular thing to do on Christmas day in the village in Liberia was to dress up in new, clean & fresh clothes, wander around and visit people, and drink alcohol and dance at one of the many spots blasting local music through giant speakers. A quintessential day for bluffing, I'd call it.



The day after Christmas this year was run-off election day! What a strange turn of events. From celebrations and endless libations to serious, down to business political drama.

The school in my friend's front yard was the nearest polling station, so we were able to see the turn out. It seemed like a pretty steady and even stream throughout the day. A few women set up shop selling rice and soup and other snacks just nearby for voters. Last election, voters' pointer fingers were dipped in ink to show that they had voted; this time they dipped the pinky finger. It's so fascinating how countries with limited access to technology and mechanical voting run their processes.

We have heard preliminary results that Weah, the famous football star running with a former warlord/president's wife, has won, but there's no confirmation yet. Not sure what either candidate will do for the country, as all we're hoping for is just a peaceful transition of power—something that hasn't occurred here in over 70 years.



As the days trickle down to the new year of 2018, I've done some introspective thinking and reflecting on this year. A few weeks ago, I probably would've said that it's been the worst one of my life, but that seems unfair to say. Yes, it's been a challenging year and one that has presented me with more than enough difficulties and emotional fireballs. I've felt purposeless, lost, confused, and helpless more than I can ever remember in my life. But, looking back, I've also learned a lot about my priorities, values, and desires. I have tried a lot of things and learned that I didn't like them, clarified what my basic needs are in order to be happy, discovered what I should look for in my next endeavor, and was lucky enough to travel to some new countries as well. 

Over the course of 2017, I feel like I grew immensely as a person.. with lots of growing pains. And I hope that 2018 brings with it a bit more direction, productivity, and purpose.


Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#