Skip to main content

Maybe I'm Turning into an Ocean Gal....

In the kitchen where I’m sitting drinking my morning tea, a salt-stained, fishy breeze enters and wafts across the room. Today it is unusually warm for this little coastal town with its mild weather.

I arrived back in this place yesterday evening after a four-hour drive through a constantly changing landscape. Over the course of the drive, the large, desert trees and shrubs slowly give way to sand and dunes, and the distant mountains and valleys flatten out to a solid yellow-orange tinted vastness. I recognize when we were getting close to our destination by specific landmarks that I always remember.  Randomly spaced, crescent-shaped, baby sand dunes appear along the side of the road just a few kilometers before we reach the eerie ghost town of Kolmanskuppe and the tiny, local airport across the road from it.




At this point, if it’s not too windy, you can see the blue ocean expand and blend into the horizon behind small rocky hillsides. After 10 kilometers, you reach the beginning of town marked by a large Hollywood-eque sign placed on a high rock hill reading LUDERITZ in big white letters.

I stepped out of the mini bus of the local transport queen, Auntie Anna. She knows practically every one in both towns from which she carries people back and forth a few days a week. She’s loud, brash, and sweet and blasts hip hop and rap music the whole drive. If you ask anyone in town if they know Auntie Anna, they will most likely say something along the lines of ‘Oh yeah, I know her. I ride with her whenever I’m going to (Luderitz or Keetmanshoop).’

The stale, thick air washes over me as I get out of the bus and I’m shocked at how warm it is. “It’s swimming weather!” saying Anna. I think about humid Georgia mornings that feel similarly and shutter, instantly hoping that colder weather will come again soon. After all, it is supposedly “winter” right now, yet the temperature rests in the mid 80s.

Once I reach home and put down my bags and greet the dogs (Buddy of course pees on me, unable to restrain his excitement), I wander out to the porch. Overlooking the bay and the ocean, the view is unbeatable, plus the sun is setting over the water. The sky looks as if it has been painted with bold strokes of color, —oranges, reds, and purples—and I stand there and soak it in. As much as I say I’m a mountains gal, the coast is growing me and I’d missed this view in the two and a half weeks that I’d been away. I watched as the saturation dripped out of the sunset and the sky slowly faded to deep navy blue.

Now, as I write this, the morning air has changed as it does in a split second here. The warm breeze has been replaced by a cooler one, one with a bit of a bite to it. I go to grab my lounge pants and a hoodie and step outside where the bright, late morning light stings my eyes and the chilly air refreshes my senses. Ahh, it’s good to be “home.”


Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#