Skip to main content

Windhoek

Well, I’ve switched countries again! Now I’m in Namibia, which lies on the Southwestern coast of Africa surrounded by South Africa, Botswana, and Angola.

I’ve had exceptional luck in my post-PC travels so far. On the first day at Afrikaburn I met a very friendly guy from Namibia who gave me a ride up to Windhoek, the capital city. When we arrived, he offered to let me couchsurf at his apartment, so that’s what I’ve been doing along with exploring the city by foot and trying to take some time to relax from all the recent traveling and excitement.

The drive up here took about 16 hours, and there were three of us in the truck. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I couldn’t help with driving since it was a manual transmission, so my contribution to the drive was conversation and keeping the drivers awake. I actually learned about Namibia’s history, environment, and economy during these conversations, so I really enjoyed them.

When we started out, the landscape was full of fruit and wine vineyards, far off mountain ranges, and green-ish fields (the drought that’s hit all of southern Africa has devastated a lot of agriculture this year). We crossed the South Africa/Namibia border at night and had planned to sleep at a lodge of some sort after getting across, but everything was booked. So, we continued driving until everyone was falling asleep at which point we stopped at a gas station and slept in the car for a bit. At 3:45 AM, we were at it again. When the sun came up, giving us a delightful show, I was finally able to see my surroundings. On either side of the straight as an arrow road were flat, vacant, sandy plains with a simple barbed wire fence separating the road and the vast lowlands. As we went further north, the landscape became more and more bushy with desert shrubs and trees. We saw some animals along the way—Springbok, cattle, sheep, and baboons—but apparently it’s not uncommon to see warthogs, zebras, giraffes, and other typical African animals during the drive. Windhoek lies in a highland at an elevation of 1,650 m (5, 400 ft) and immediately surrounded by thick bush. As JB told me, it’s not hard to get out of the city and escape to nature when you live in Windhoek.

We got into the city around 10 or 11 and immediately took naps. Later in the afternoon, we went to acroyoga as JB is sort of an informal teacher. It was my first time ever trying acro, but it was super fun! I accomplished a few simple moves on the first try and only had three or so tumbles. It really enjoyed watching everyone flying in the air on the lawn in front of the parliament building as the sun glowed beautiful and pink and sank behind the city (super sad I didn’t get any pictures!).

Then Monday and Tuesday I spent wandering around the city and indulging in all the free parks and museums in Windhoek. This included the botanical gardens, the national art museum, the cultural center, the national museum, and small art/craft shops downtown. I also ran essential errands like getting a Namibian SIM card for my phone, buying new running shoes (since mine went missing at burn), and finding a delicious froyo place.

I’ve also had a pretty active social life here, accompanying JB to various get togethers and meeting a lot of international people as well as locals. Windhoek is a small city, much like Asheville, where everyone really knows each other. It’s refreshing to feel that tinge of home in a place 7,624 miles away.



Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#