Skip to main content

Since ya'll asked for a blog.....

Hi friends!

First post from Mulanje, Malawi. I have been toying with the idea of beginning a blog since before I got here, but (with the help of friends) decided that it's the time to 'just do it!' (Shout out to Coach Mason) After all, goal #3 of Peace Corps is to help Americans understand the people and cultures of other countries!

So, I don't really know where to begin with everything. I've been in Malawi for over 3 months now. We spent the first 9 weeks in home stay families in the Kasungu district (central Malawi). We learned about the culture, studied the language INTENSIVELY, and also learned technical skills. As health volunteers, our four main areas of work in Malawi are HIV/AIDS mitigation and prevention, malaria education and prevention, nutrition education, and sanitation/hygiene education. We came to Malawi with a group of 37 volunteers: 16 health and 21 environment vols. After we "graduated" from training and swore in at the ambassadors house in the capital, we all journeyed out to our sites across Malawi. We have vols from the northern most area (Chitipa--right near Tanzania and Zambia) all the way south to Nsanje (surrounded by Mozambique). Malawi has about 120 volunteers total in 3 fields: health, environment, and education.

I am located in the Mulanje district, right in the foothills of Mount Mulanje. This mountain is the highest in southern Africa and the 3rd highest mountain in all of Africa. I love my site. It's considered a "difficult to reach" location according to the Ministry of Health because transportation doesn't run up to my village. So, to get to my site, I get dropped off by a mini bus at the bottom of a dirt road, and I walk about an hour up to my village. At first, I was really upset about this, but I've gotten used to the walking (it is an insanely gorgeous hike) and the only time I don't like it is when I've bought too many things in the boma, basically the district's capital city, and I have to carry it all up with me.

My village is named Bondo 1. The entire catchment area that I'm responsible for is called Bondo, and it's made up of 15 villages. I have a site mate who lives in Nessa, about an hour walk away. I am assigned to a health center, the Bondo Health Center, which serves all of these village. My job is not necessarily to WORK there, but to work in the community. Right now, I am in the process of conducting a community needs assessment. This is all we're supposed to do for the first 3 months at site. We have an In-Service Training at the end of September where we will talk about starting projects and writing grants. But for now, my job is to get to know the community, see what they need help with, and get used to living in a rural African village.

My village is on the "rainforest" side of the mountain, so we get A LOT of rain. It is dry season right now, but I've heard it rains from November-May. The village is very crowded with lots of huts on a small amount of land. It is plentiful with fruit trees--bananas, papayas, pineapples, guavas, mangos, lychee, etc. There aren't any large markets near me, but there are lots of amayis (malawian word for moms and women in general) who have little bamboo stands along the roads (and in my front yard too!) and sell tomatoes, onions, greens, and dry fish. Sometimes it feels like a wild goose chase trying to find everything I need: one house bakes bread, another sells eggs, another has the best tomatoes, another has sweet potatoes, etc.

My house is wonderful and surprisingly large (compared to what I expected). It has three large rooms and two small ones. I do not have running water or electricity, but I do have a tap in the "courtyard" area outside of my house. However, the tap only works occasionally. When it does work, water spews out and makes a small pond in my side yard because the handle doesn't turn, so I can't get it to turn off! When I don't have water, I either collect water that drips off my roof with buckets when it rains or I gather some neighborhood kids to go with me either to the river or the school tap (about a mile walk), and they help me carry it home. Yes, an 11 year old has to carry my 20 liter bucket of water on her head for me. I soak myself, and my arms get tired!

That's all for now. I am in the boma at an NGO that allows us to use their free wifi, but it's after 3PM and I need to begin my journey home. First, I have to walk to the bus depot and get a mini bus going my direction. They take a bit to fill up and then it stops all the time along the road on the way home to squeeze ridiculous amounts of people and luggage into the bus. After 20-30 minutes, it drops me off at my road. And then I have to walk all the way up. It gets dark here at 5:30 since it's cold season and the days are short (southern hemisphere!) However, I have an app for this blog on my phone, so hopefully I'll still be able to update up at my site. We'll see! Thanks for reading friends!

xo



Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#