Skip to main content

Fire-Baked Birthday Cake


Most people know that I'm big on birthdays. I like being somewhere new and exciting—exploring unknown places, tastes, and streets or else relaxing somewhere special with good company. This year, I had been away from my community for a bit and was feeling extra poor, so I decided to keep it simple with a small village celebration. 

Compared to Malawi where people didn’t really acknowledge birthdays, Liberians have certain traditions depending on where you live. If you live “in town,” you might go to the ice cream shop or out to a nice dinner after taking a bajillion ‘bluffing’ pictures in a new birthday outfit.

In the “interior” (the word Liberians use to describe the bush), the celebrations are more tame and limited. If you decide to have a ‘party,’ the whole community expects you make popcorn and juice for everyone. Adult birthday parties may substitute cane juice or palm wine for sugary juice powder. Then music is played and people dance (I assume…I’ve never seen one of these in my village).

Obviously, the major difference between Liberian culture and American culture regarding birthdays is that in Liberia, when it’s your own birthday, YOU are the one responsible for providing for everyone else. This is vastly different from my own custom of allowing someone else to plan and prepare everything for me and then maybe expecting a few gifts or at least birthday drinks.

Our community in Gbediah Town boasts a rowdy population of just over 300 people. To pop that much popcorn over a fire in a big pot, sweating and shaking it constantly, did not exactly sound appealing. And imagining the crowd that would envelop my house should I have such a party seemed even less in celebratory style, and more like something that would be chaotic and anxiety-producing for me.

So, I decided to compromise by preparing some goodies for myself and for my neighbor family.

After returning from the clinic, where I was showered with happy birthdays from our staff and where my counterpart insisted that I do a mini photo shoot with her son in the boiling hot sun, I got to work. I popped a big pot of popcorn, shook a bunch of white cheddar seasoning onto it, and mixed a plastic pitcher full of pineapple coconut “juice” powder (aka sugar and flavoring).

One of my Peace Corps sisters showed up soon after, and we proceeded to whip up a chocolate cake using a shrewdly hoarded box of cake mix. I convinced my little brother to help us in the kitchen by promising him cake in return. He found a big pot we could use to create a Dutch oven over the three-stone fire, cleaned the smaller soup pot that we intended to bake the cake in, and started the fire for us. We tamed the flames, threw some coals on top of the pot lid, and let the fire do its magic.

Thirty minutes later, we had a fluffy and beautiful chocolate cake that slid right out of the pot better than just about any cake I’ve ever baked in my life. We even whipped up some chocolate frosting with baking chocolate, margarine, and marshmallow fluff and decorated it with a roll of smarties.

Unsure of how to present all the birthday celebration goodies to my neighbor family who have a mini shop that people pass in and out of all day and afraid that news of the “party” would spread like fire across the community enticing people from all corners to come and harass me for not making enough for everyone, I waited for the cloak of darkness to descend upon us.

I then slyly snuck over with my PC friend, arms fully balanced with assorted bowls of popcorn and slices of cake, the pitcher of juice, utensils, and cups. We sat around a small wooden table on the porch and gorged on sugary snacks and treats lit up by a small solar lamp. No birthday song, no candles to blow out, and no photos taken in the darkness; instead we sat around “lecturing.” The kids inhaled their slices of cake and gulped down massive amounts of sugary juice while also trying to shovel in handfuls of popcorn between it all. Our Pa warned them that they would have stomachaches tomorrow from all the sugar.

When the food was finished, we returned to my house next door. My little brother ran off to take a bath then came knocking, knowing that it was movie time. After taking a few bluffing birthday photos together, it was time to sink into my spare mattress-turned-couch and enjoy a movie (and some red wine of course).

Undoubtedly, it was not the most exhilarating or adventurous birthday of my life, but what I’m realizing as time goes on is that it’s all about appreciating the little things. Things like successfully baking a cake over a fire and bringing this concept of a birthday cake to my Liberian family/neighbors would have to suffice for the ‘wow’ factor of this year’s birthday.

PS. It was delicious.


Here are some more pics...














Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#