Skip to main content

On to new adventures...

“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage”

I found this fortune cookie fortune (that must have escaped from the collection of inspiring ones I keep in my wallet) on the floor as I was packing up my bags this afternoon and mentally preparing to leave Luderitz tomorrow morning. This decision, like many of the decisions during my time in Africa, came very last minute. And this fortune that I’d found absentmindedly while I gathered my belongings seemed oh so relevant for this exact moment.

This morning I woke up thinking I would prepare to travel up to Maltahohe, a rural decaying town that we’d visited last month, to train a group of women on crocheting with plastic bags this coming week. Then, a few trips to the bank and dramatic realizations of a lack of money on the part of the guy I work for/with ruled this trip out of the question. Although I had done some private fundraising for the trip, he couldn’t afford the risk of missing out on business here in town to take a week long “work vacation.”

So what next?

I must have courage to do what I know I need to do. My mind raced as he apologized to me and said that he guessed I should just be on my way as there was no work left for me here at this time and considering my visa expires in 8 days. Internally, my mind was on the move. I’d already bought my plane ticket to Morocco from Cape Town for Oct 30th, I couldn’t stay more than 7 days in South Africa once I crossed the border meaning I couldn’t push up my trip down to South Africa, and I had no idea what I’d do or where I’d stay for the next week.

Luckily, my experiences over the past 2.5 years living and volunteering in Africa have thoroughly prepared me for this exact type of incident. Previously, I would’ve freaked out; now, I thought through my options, reached out to contacts (which I’m so thankful that I have), and made a back up plan in about 20 minutes.

I spent the afternoon packing up all of my belongings—which were more than I’d realized considering that I’d brought a bunch of junk back with me from the states anticipating that I’d be here until Christmas. Regardless, I proudly got all of my belongings that I wanted to continue to use for the next 9 weeks into my 65-liter, big blue backpack and shoved the rest into a black suitcase that I’d ship home.

Excitement flooded my body as I packed up. Although its been a great experience here in Luderitz and in Namibia, this wasn’t exactly what I’d had in mind for my COS trip from Peace Corps. I had wanted to wander, to explore, to be a gypsy for a few months and satisfy my insatiable urge to see and experience a handful of new places. What I had not expected was to find a possible job opportunity/international commitment so soon after working my ass off volunteering in Malawi and needing a REAL break from the serious side of life. I wanted to party, to meet people, to admire nature, to learn new languages, to get more stamps in my passport; not to settle down immediately after such a draining yet amazing experience. What I needed then and what I still need now is to process what I’ve gone through.

Constant travel over the next nine weeks won’t help me accomplish that, I know. But I’m hoping that it will at least enable me to be able to be calm and to be able to settle in a little bit when I do eventually arrive home in the U.S.—right before Christmas FYI! The fortune will go with me spiritually. My life will expand to new places and my courage will not fail me now.

Last sunset over Luderitz Bay.....


And for those of you who are wondering what my brilliant and last minute plan is, I will still use the fundraised money for its intended purpose. I will travel to Keetmanshoop where we trained our initial crochet group in August. I will work with them over the next week and help them to advance their skills and to motivate them. Then I will be on my way, with a clear mind and a bit of closure for this project, to Cape Town where I will catch a plane to where my heart has been calling me for so many years and to where my next adventures lie—Morocco.

Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#