Skip to main content

Emergency Evacuation!

It’s been a whirlwind of a week. A giant tropical storm slammed the southern region of Malawi a few days ago with multiple feet of rainfall in 2-3 days. Considering homes and buildings are made of sandy mud bricks around here, lots of rain can weaken these walls and cause walls and entire structures to collapse. Thankfully I was not in my village when the storm hit (I was staying with a friend who knew the storm was on its way), so I was safe. I watched the storm bend palm trees and flop big branches from the safely of a large front porch that overlooked the tea estates. The rain came in waves usually of ridiculously hard rapping on the roof to light drizzling, and we had phases of thunder and lightning. One thing was for sure though—it didn’t stop raining for three days straight. The only discomfort I experienced though was temperamental electricity (which didn’t bother me since I’m used to not having it anyway). Besides that, I spent four days working on lesson plans for programs in my community and playing with the two dogs at the house. Although I am not sure of the current status of my mud brick home since I haven’t been back to my village since the heavy rains, my counterpart checked on it for me and everything seems to be okay from the outside. 

Some of our peace corps volunteers weren’t so lucky though. One had his wall collapse on him while he was sleeping, others had latrines and store rooms collapse, others had their homes flooded or walls waterlogged. Compared to locals though, our houses faired well. In a lot of districts, collapsed houses were so common that churches, schools, or any building on higher ground became refugee locations for now homeless people. I think the current estimate is 70,000 people displaced. A mini bus trying to cross a rushing river slipped into the water, and the bus is still MIA; just the driver’s body was found. Today the Malawi president and USAID declared multiple regions in the South as “disaster zones,” so Peace Corps decided to evacuate us to a consolidation point. Apparently there are more storms on their way even though today was absolutely gorgeous with blue skies, warm weather, and a cool breeze. On the transport to our consolidation point, we passed fields of flooded crops, homes with walls that were now heaps of crumbled bricks and tin roofs that had crashed down through the rooms, and gushing rivers that are normally small streams. When I called my counterpart to inform him that I would not be returning to the village today, he told me that three people had gotten swept away into the river that runs down by the health center. Our programs for the week would have to be postponed because people in the village were too busy preparing for funerals and repairing their homes. The estimate as of now for deaths as a result of this storm is 48 people. It’s completely eye-opening and shocking to see how this heavy rainfall can create literal disaster zones for such impoverished people who already don't have a lot. And the effects will be felt for a while. Not only will people need to rebuild houses, but they will need to replant crops in order to have enough food for the year. The president is calling for foreign help, but with Malawi’s aid history of the cashgate scandal last year, who knows if anyone will answer. 


For now, all we can hope for is positive thoughts and vibes to be sent to these kind, giving people here in the warm heart of Africa. (And that the heavy storm rains don't return!)




(Thanks Bob Phillips for the image!)


Popular posts from this blog

The Mud Pit

 Perched atop a mountain of dirt and next to a stuck truck with 'God's time is the best" written across it's back, the komatsu excavator whirled back and forth. It's mighty engine was the only machine running outside of the occasional motorbike, as all of the cars waiting on it's progress had long since shut off their motors and settled in. When we had approached this spot in the road, we assessed the situation. Then"good time" truck blocked the road to the left, another sat in the middle of the mess, and a big truck was teetering on one side, barely upright on the right side of the pit. A dumptruck hauled out the middle truck, but then the komatsu went straight in, after being filled with gasoline, and went to work. Groups of men sat around the heart of the action, closely observing the incredible work of such a powerful machine. Young kids helped motorbikes push their way through the giant muddy mess, jumping out of the way of the big y

Saying Goodbye

I will sleep tonight with an extremely heavy heart and puffy, red eyes. Today I had to leave my home here in Malawi.  I remember my ideas about Peace Corps and Africa before I left America. Like most people who have never been to Africa and who often only hear about the bad things that happen here, I was intimidated and a bit scared about the idea of living in a rural village by myself. My going away parties were difficult—I thought they would be the hardest goodbyes I’d ever face. Not seeing so many people I care deeply about for two years; I couldn’t even imagine it.   But today was hard in a different kind of way. Saying goodbye to someone you love, knowing you’ll be back in two years, is completely unlike saying goodbye to someone whom you don’t know if you’ll ever see again (partially because you know they don’t have the means to leave). I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in the past two years, and I thought I’d progressed from the days when I was always the first to cry at the

Simple Daily Reflection

Orange spots of sunlight gleam between the bluegum trees as I watch the world disappear behind us in the fingerprint-speckled rearview mirror on the mini bus. To our left, Mulanje mountain glows purple as it always does at this time in the evening when the sun sinks below the earth, putting an end to the hot day. A faint, yet almost full moon floats above the mountain, almost in the center of the elongated rock structure.   Along my way from the capital city, I'd seen so many depressing as well as incredible sights that, despite having been here for over 20 months, still touch my heart. Child labor at its finest as kids dig up dry fields to cultivate and struggle to carry buckets of water on their heads. Diminishing forests next to piles and piles of charcoal. Then there are the pristinely wild looking mountains and hillsides and cute lines of chicks waddling along the sides of the roads. I think about how new and shocking this all was when I arrived here; debating whether it&#